Okay, so you had fun with your friends last night and drank a bucketful of alcohol. However, this morning you found it hard to wake up, your head was pounding like a pneumatic drill, feeling more than a little nauseous and with a mouth dryer than the sole of an Egyptian’s flip flop.

And what was wrong with you? A hangover that’s what!

“No Nay Never – No Nay Never No More!”

8 Ways To Cure Your HangoverSo, what is a hangover?

The term hangover has been defined as:

“A collection of unpleasant and painful symptoms, which can develop after drinking too much alcohol. Those symptoms can range from mild discomfort to more severe symptoms.”

What causes a hangover?

There are several factors that play an important role in whether or not you’ll have a hangover after getting absolutely shit-faced. Many of the causes are obvious and most of the time we know what our own limitations are, but still we go on drinking more and more without thinking of the possible outcome.

So, you’ve enjoyed the whole evening sloshing about in alcohol and now in the morning, you’ve got a hangover. So, now what…?

Wait, all is not lost! There are things you can do to relieve some of the most severe symptoms.

1. Get Down & Get With It!

Get moving! A little workout can help flush out toxins. It also gets you to drink more fluids and goes some way to distracting you from the incessant pounding in your head.

Okay, it’s hard to even think about working out after a night of heavy drinking, so we suggested you find out a ‘workout buddy’. This way, you’ll be able to workout with a little more encouragement and enthusiasm.

You don’t have to go to a gym to workout, you could try your hand at swimming, cycling or just about anything that makes you sweat.

It takes a lot of willpower to move like that, especially when standing up even feels like a challenge, but in the end you’ll thoroughly enjoy it.

2. Water or Sports Drinks

Dehydration is the major side effect of alcohol intake. This causes some of the most common symptoms associated with hangovers – like headache, dizziness and lightheadedness. The quickest, easiest and cheapest way to relieve these symptoms is to drink lots and lots of water.

We also suggest that when you finish a drink of alcohol, you should drink a glass of water, before your next round. This will dilute the concentration of alcohol in your blood and helps prevent dehydration.

If you don’t feel like drinking water, try Sports drinks, such as Lucozade or Gatorade instead. This not only relieves dehydration, but also replaces those much-needed electrolytes (which contrary to popular belief, are not a sixties Motown band).

Now, since many hangover symptoms are the result of dehydration, water is perhaps one of the most effective hangover cures.

When your body’s breaking down alcohol, it pumps out lactic acid and other byproducts that hinder the production of glucose, electrolytes, salts and other minerals that keep your body in perfect condition. This results in the weak, dizzy feeling you get when you’re suffering from hangover.

Sports drinks replenish those lost minerals and electrolytes and provide you with instant energy.

3. How’d You Like Your Eggs, Fried Or Boiled?

Yes that’s right, eggs! Eggs are a good source of protein and energy, so if you’re suffering from a hangover – eat eggs.

Eggs contain cysteine, which breaks down acetaldehyde in the body, so eating eggs the morning after a drinking binge can help the symptoms of a hangover by removing alcohol metabolite toxin from the body.

If you’re stomach’s not in the mood for fried eggs, you can always make scrambled eggs using the following method:

Ingredients:
Three Eggs
Cheddar Cheese
Salt & Pepper

Method:

Heat a frying pan on the stove (where else). Beat three eggs in a bowl and blend in grated cheddar cheese as per your taste. Scramble and cook, then eat straight away, with a couple of doorsteps of dry bread, if you’re really famished.

4. Fruit or Fruit Juice

Natural remedies are always better than taking medicines. So, consuming fruit or fruit juice during a hangover can boost your energy levels, replace vitamins and nutrients and has proved to speed up the body’s process of getting rid of toxins.

Therefore, we can say wholeheartedly that fruits and their juices can help decrease the intensity of hangover symptoms.

You can use fresh or tinned fruits, but it’s best to use fresh, as they replace lost vitamins quicker.

The sugar in fruit boosts your energy levels and helps your body get rid of toxins. If raw fruit tastes too acidic (lemon, lime, orange), why not add it to a smoothie with banana and yoghurt?

Try some other juices that are high in vitamin B and C or come up with a mixture of both. For instance, the Chinese are known for drinking fresh tangerine juice while eating strawberries to get rid of a hangover.

Try and mix oranges, grapefruit, guava and strawberries. Beans are also high in vitamin B, so you may want to try something with beans.

Here we’ll share a cocktail cure for a hangover:

Ingredients:
1 cup orange juice
1 cup pineapple juice
1 kiwi
1 tablespoon Vitamin B enriched yeast
1 tablespoon honey

Method:

Mix all the above mentioned ingredients in a blender, (mix well). Your nutritional and tasty fruit cocktail is ready. Drink it and feel an instant energy boost.

Here’s another recipe for you, only this time we’re using a blend of different vegetables:

Ingredients:
8 ounces of carrot juice
1 ounce of beet juice
4 ounces of celery juice
1 ounce of parsley juice

Method:

Simply blend all these ingredients and your healthy vegetable shake is ready.

5. Honey, I’ve Drunk The Fridge!

Honey is beneficial for your body no matter what, but it’s also widely believed to cure hangover symptoms.

Try a couple of teaspoons of plain honey. If you don’t like plain honey, then simply add it to your glass of water or cup of tea, as it helps soothe the dryness in your throat.

Upon waking, you can ingest 2-6 teaspoons of honey every 20-30 minutes depending on the severity of your hangover (that’ll be 6 then). Continue the honey intake until you start to feel better and then take four teaspoons with your first meal.

The potassium in honey helps counteract the effects of the alcohol and ultimately decreases future cravings for alcohol.

Alcoholic drinks are acidic in reaction and are thought to satisfy your natural desire for an acid taste. If however you have an alcohol problem, check your body chemistry and make changes to your diet accordingly. Honey contains fructose, a type of sugar that’s helpful in metabolizing alcohol more quickly.

6. A Toast To Your Recovery

After a night full of revelry and binge drinking, you may wake up with heavy head and nausea (amongst other things).

To assist in your self-inflicted predicament, knock up a couple of slices of plain toast, but avoid putting jam or butter on them.

7. Simply Sleep It Off

Sleep, sleep and more sleep is an effective way to fight hangover symptoms.

When you wake up, take any of the remedial measures we’ve already discussed and then go back to bed. This is assuming you have the luxury of sleeping in for the whole day. Anyway, try to get as much sleep as possible.

Your body’s already working extremely hard to cope with the mess you’ve made of your internal organs due to heavy drinking. It will make you lethargic and if your banging headache isn’t keeping you awake, then go back to sleep, so your exhausted body can have a break.

8. Eat Something Before You Go Out

According to scientific research, alcohol is mostly ingested through the small intestine, which is the next stop after the stomach. If your stomach’s full it will take longer for the alcohol to get to your small intestine and therefore longer for you to get drunk.

So, before going out to party, make sure to eat something and then you might not have to face the more severe symptoms of a hangover.

These remedies have all been known to help treat the symptoms of a hangover after a night of partying. They all work differently for everyone and with the passage of time you’ll discover, which cure works best for you.

8 hangover cures

Okay folks – tell us your stories! What hangover cures have you tried and did they work?—let’s get 10 COMMENTS, and we’ll be back soon with another awesome post.